Thursday, September 10, 2009

Minamata disease: mercury poisoning




I have lived as an ordinary person with a boring job without any art influence until I started taking classes in this school. So the influence I had was not culturally related to here.

As an expatriate living in a different country without my parents, I tried to connect to my origin or my past experience through my art. My father speaks Japanese and he had a collection of Japanese books. I would look at the pictures of the encyclopedia and would have nightmares from some of the pictures in the books. My parents themselves went through two wars-World War II and Korean war- when they were young. Their hard life stories combined with the pictures left me with intense feeling when it comes to human biological victims.

The pictures I could find on the net are not the best ones. I assume that this is the incidence that not many people are proud of what happened to those who were affected by mercury poisoning, Minamata disease.

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/50_Years_On_Echoes_Of_Tragic_Past_Haunt_Japans_Minamata_City.html

http://whyfiles.org/201mercury/

Yoochung Hilliard

No comments:

Post a Comment