Thursday, October 29, 2009

Michael Zavros

born 1974. graduated from Queensland college of art in 1996. realist painter.
I was particularly interested in Michaels series of oil paintings of horses falling. They reminded me of the series of birds that I have been doing this semester.
Michael paints the horses realistically and then places them in a composition that is unnatural and disturbing or confusing to the viewer. it seems that Michael is trying to make a point using irony. just as I have been trying to make a point using birds, which are intended to fly freely and putting them in trapped settings, Michael takes horses, which are intended to be sturdy, strong, and stable creatures, and positions them as if they are falling through thin air. I love these paintings because they are dream- like. they are physically beautiful as well as conceptually stimulating. he uses irony in such a beautiful way that I can not take my eyes away.MichaelZavros2FallingAugust.gif2004F.jpg2004h.jpg2004i.jpg2003E.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment