Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What I found most interesting and valuable during the second critique was Joe’s comment about the importance of building up a surface where the layers of paint are intertwined. I felt that his comment applied to many of our paintings and how we apply the medium. I personally feel like I am at the point where I am still investigating the application process of painting and its versatility. So, I searched through various websites to find interesting works that dealt with paint in a tactile manner. One artist that I find interesting is Harry Ally. His large scale figurative paintings have an impulsive quality that reflects the materials he uses such as tar, acrylic, cloth, oil, and dirt. The buildup of the surface creates an atmosphere for the figure to stand in.

No comments:

Post a Comment