Thursday, December 3, 2009

David Wojnarowicz











One person I've looked at this semester is David Wojnarowicz. I really enjoy the way he works on maps, treating it just like regular paper, allowing us to see through his images in, what would be negative space, revealing the map. One picture I included on here gives me the same feeling of a map i suppose because the sky is blue like the ocean would be on a map and just has a technical feel like a map. I want to continue considering how I integrate different visual elements and their relationships while looking at his work. He plays between having the painted elements grounded yet also floating on these map type backgrounds. I'm not sure I can pinpoint exactly why I am drawn to this visual technique so much. I think part of why I am drawn to it though is there seems to be a connection between the real, physical, concrete world and his experiences and journey which is more objective, controversial and a product of his creative translation. The dual worlds is something can relate to with the issues I consider in my art work when I consider dual aspects of identity and considering identity in conflict with other parts of the world...the relgious world, the family world...much for me to continue to chew on here. I also enjoy the line in the 3rd piece and it's mechanical feel and the way it can be used as connective of different visual elements arranged in a collage type of manner.




No comments:

Post a Comment