Friday, December 4, 2009

Yellena James





I was drawn to the first set of drawing we looked at during Monday's critique. The elements that I find interesting are the continuous line work and intricate forms that grow outwards. An artist that I randomly came across that reminded me of those drawings is Yellena James. Her background in graphic design comes through in her bold and colorful drawings and paintings. Some pieces appear as flat landscapes with a variety of line work that reference plants and microorganisms. Her paintings are more atmospheric where the forms float through the space. The imagery completely takes over the surface pulling the viewer into the alternate realm. The pieces are also relatively small which makes the viewer come closer to see the intricate patterns. I’m drawn to her work because the repetitive imagery and forms create an interesting language that adds to the imaginative space.

www.yellena.com

No comments:

Post a Comment